środa, 26 kwietnia 2017

Mallaig, Armadale and Silver Sands (Highlands)

Isle of Skye was one of those places, which I wanted to visit, since I started living  in Scotland in 2012. Every year I was planning trip, every year it was a fiasco. I had eiter no holiday, that I could use, nor money. Or both of these esential factors, to make it work out. This year my situation was different. Even tho my budget was rather small and I had just 3 days of holiday to use, I managed to make it happen. I have found great deal for train tickets, acceptable hostel for equally acceptable price and decided to go for it.


My small adventure started on 11th of April. I had to take bus to Glasgow first, as there is no direct connection of Edinburgh and Mallaig, which was my destination. When I arrived at Queen street station, I noticed a small crowd was already waiting for same train as me, tho mostly their objective was Fort William.  


Trip lasted 5 hours and was amazing, because of views. Highlands are simply breathtakingly beautiful, no matter the weather (and as we all know, Scotland's weather is changing every 5 minutes and brings many variations od sun and rain combined).



I arrived at Mallaig before 2PM. My accomodation- The Missxion Bunkhose, was literally 1 minute from station, which was very convinient, as the sky decided to open in half and just drop hectolitres of water on ground. When I checked in and sorted out my stuff at room (small and rather humble, but clean), I looked thru window and decided to take a short walk.
Mallaig is small. And when I write small, I mean tiny. You can walk from one side of city to another within 15-20 minutes. It's population is 800 people, who live either from fishing or tourism. There are few cafeterias/ bars. Some shops, also with souvenirs, and a harbour, which allows people to get to Skye.

Train Station in Mallaig
 Harbour


And the street view
I looked around slowly, took some pictures and got a crossaint from local bakery (pic bellow), which was enough to fill me in. 
Evening came very quick and, as I was tired, I went to sleep early.
Next day I woke up full of energy. Dressed up comfortably (no frils included, haha), grabbed cup of latte and went to port, to board 9AM Caledonian McBrayne ferry to Armadale. 

See that part where cars are gathered? This is already a ferry.
 Place for foot passengers.
At service desk I was told, that my return boat 'may be cancelled' if weather changes. I still took a risk and after nearly 1 hour long sail, I arrived at my destination.

Beautiful vievs of sea.

I have explored clan McDonald properties


museum



 and garden.
 Aaaaand just basically walked around, relaxed and enjoyed the day.



I got home safely, as ferries were running without problem. Happy with what I saw (there is dispute among people on internet, if it's worth visiting Armadale or not, haha) and prepared for more.

Following day started with big breakfast. It was supposed to be very exciting and exhausting trip to Knoydart and Tarbet. Unfortunatelly, against the forecast, weather changed awfully. Ferries and other boats were grounded and I was forced to stay in Mallaig. Or did I? I took a walk to Morar and wanted to see Silver Sands, which are highly recomended by Trip Advisor. Two hours and it happend


but next time I am gonna take a walk like this, I have to remember to also take warmer clothing and more comfortable shoes. Yup, for sure. 

My trip was basically over. Next morning I took early train, back to Glasgow, got matcha latte from Starbucks there (don't judge- it's my addiction, hahaha) and soon went back to Edinburgh.

Maybe not everything went acording to plan, but I really enjoyed those few days off. I would like to go there someday again, maybe at middle of summer and maybe for longer, but we will  see what future brings. 

3 komentarze:

  1. Oh! Szkocja jest taka przepiękna! A ta ciągle zmieniająca się pogoda tylko dodaje uroku, bo można łapać różne światła na zdjęciach ;)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
    Odpowiedzi
    1. Szkocja ma w sobie to coś, niewątpliwie. Niemniej ta pogoda, która daje nam też różne światło w fotografii, może naprawdę pokrzyżować czasami plany :P Pół biedy jak ktoś jest na urlopie i mu łódź odwołają, ale zdarzało się, ze ludzie musieli np w Mallaig nocować i przerwać podróż służbową, ze względu na złe warunki na morzu, a co za tym idzie- brak promu do Armadale.

      Usuń
  2. Te kilka ostatnich zdjęć jest naprawdę super *^*

    OdpowiedzUsuń